This view from the brow behind St Mary's Church is renowned for its natural beauty and inspiration on artists particularly Professor John Ruskin and J.M.W. Turner.
Professor John Ruskin was an art critic and social thinker of the Victorian and Edwardian era. An account of his writings about the view and Lune Valley can be found in his book Fors Clavigera.
John Ruskin was a great supporter of naturalism in art and subsequently of the work of J.M.W.Turner who had also painted the view from the churchyard circa 1818.
Turner's original watercolour is privately owned and is not currently on display but prints of his works can be purchased via Finestra Gallery.