Hollywood comes to Kirkby Lonsdale!
Universal Studios are making a new Dr Dolittle film, called The Voyage of Dr Dolittle, starring Robert Downey Jr, Antonio Banderas, Michael Sheen as well the voices of Emma Thompson, Ralph Fiennes, Tom Holland, Selena Gomez, Marion Cotillard and many more. The production is based at Shepperton Studios with location filming taking place in Cumbria, Yorkshire, Somerset and the Home Counties.
Preparations for next week’s three days of filming has been going on in Kirkby Lonsdale this week. The scenes to be filmed in the town are part of an action sequence when a small boy is chased through the back streets by peelers (policemen) on horseback. He throws of his pursuers by taking a shortcut through Market Square on market day! He escapes along a path at Ruskin’s View.
The filming schedule will cause some minor disruptions in the town, but we will be open for business as usual!
- No parking in Market Square, Saturday, May 12 - Saturday, May 19.
- Set construction in Market Square, Jingling Lane, Swinemarket, Horsemarket and Mill Brow, Saturday, May 12 - Tuesday, May 15.
- Filming in Swinemarket and Mill Brow, Tuesday, May 15.
- Filming in Mill Brow, Jingling Lane and Market Square, Wednesday, May 16.
- Filming in Jingling Lane and Market Square, Thursday, May 17.
- Roads closure, parts of Main Street, Mill Brow, Horsemarket and Jingling Lane, Wednesday & Thursday, May 16 & 17.
- Reinstatement of Swinemarket, Wednesday, May 16.
- Reinstatement of Market Square, streets and premises, Friday, May 18 & Saturday, May 19.
Reinstatement means the production company will return Kirkby Lonsdale to the way it was before Dr Dolittle visited.
Kirkby Lonsdale is open for business as usual throughout the week, although there will be some restrictions to pedestrians and traffic at times, but you may get to see a Hollywood movie being filmed!
Park and Ride
From Saturday 12th May to 19th May Voyage Productions are providing a PARK and RIDE minibus service from 8.30am to 5.30pm.
This will operate between The Royal Hotel bus stop and Kirkby Lonsdale Rugby Union Football Club, running approximately ever 15minutes (will confirm timings as we have them).
Local bus company Dan Willan Coaches will be operating this service.
The weekly Charter market will be in town as normal on Thursday, 17 May but will relocate to No.2 car park, on the corner of New Road and Dodgson Croft.
And now for some exclusive Hollywood insider gossip: If you visit the market and buy from the fruit and veg stall (Andy’s), you're buying from the man who supplied the eggs which were knocked over by the chasing horses in the action sequence mentioned above!