Get to know your mental habits and learn how to retrain your mind to react with more calmness, control and confidence to whatever life brings your way. All welcome, no experience required.
After a gentle warm up with relaxing movements and soothing music, you may sit on a chair or the floor (or lie down if preferred) to be guided through simple, yet highly effective meditations. We begin with 15-20 minutes and work slowly up to meditating for 20-30 minutes, or slightly longer as the course progresses. Each group is different, so the duration of meditations also differ depending on the wishes of participants. There is also time to discuss our meditation practice.
The classes are relaxed and friendly mixing movement and stillness; and quiet concentration with chat and laughter!
Research claims that meditation:
- enhances self awareness
- improves concentration and attention
- promotes emotional health
- eases depression, anxiety, phobias, paranoid thoughts, obsessive-compulsive behaviors and panic attacks
- increases compassion and kindness
- reduces stress and inflamation and improves many symptoms of stress-related conditions, including irritable bowel syndrome, post-traumatic stress disorder and fibromyalgia
- improves sleep
- relaxes nerve signals that coordinate heart function, lowering blood pressure and the "fight-or-flight" response in the autonomic nervous system that increases alertness in stressful situations
- helps with pain and addiction
"The popularity of meditation is increasing as more people discover its benefits. Meditation is a habitual process of training your mind to focus and redirect your thoughts. You can use it to increase awareness of yourself and your surroundings. Many people think of it as a way to reduce stress and develop concentration. People also use the practice to develop other beneficial habits and feelings, such as a positive mood and outlook, self-discipline, healthy sleep patterns and even increased pain tolerance,” Dr Matthew Thorpe.
The weekly courses are term based and limited places are available so please book soon. No-commitment trial classes for £10 available.
When the sun smiles on us, we can also start the clases outside and enjoy the fresh air and sounds of nature. Each hall has beautiful views of the countryside and a large, free car park.