Job Vacancy: Kirkby Lonsdale Town and Tourism Manager
PostedMonday, 16 April 2018
Kirkby Lonsdale & Lune Valley Community Interest Company invites applications for the position of Town and Tourism Manager.
The person appointed will have worked with volunteers in community or charitable projects and have strong retail experience. A tourism background would be an advantage as the promotion of the town and its attractions is a key part of the post. The successful applicant will manage a small, positive-minded and committed team, consisting of a part-time assistant and some 26 volunteers.
The Community Interest Company manages a volunteer-staffed information and gift shop, the weekly Charter market, and two public toilets sites in the town. It also promotes the town and facilitates a series of events throughout the year.
The post-holder will report to the CIC Board who will be fully supportive.
The responsibilities of the Town and Tourism Manager include:
- Being an advocate for the town, working with MPs, county and district councils, the town council, national parks authorities, and tourism-orientated organisations such as Cumbria Tourism and Visit Lancashire.
- Managing the premises at 29 Main Street, where space is sub-let; liaising with our landlord and tenants; working with the CIC Assistant to ensure the efficient, commercial operation of the 7-days-a-week information and gift shop by organising the volunteer rota, recruiting and training volunteers.
- Leading and delivering events including raising sponsorship where appropriate; liaising with the Press and other media to generate publicity for the town; using the town’s Facebook page and website as routine publicity outlets; giving advice and guidance to local groups and organisations about their own events.
- Working with the CIC Assistant on the long-term development of the Charter market.
- Managing a high standard at the public conveniences; working with the Board to achieve cost-efficient improvement plans.
- Delegating, and working on other projects, as and when they arise.
This is a part-time post, subject to a 12-month renewable contract of employment. Salary is negotiable for a two/two-and-a-half day week. To achieve a handover with the current post-holder, a start date of June is proposed.
Applications are invited in writing or by email, with full details of experience, with names of two referees who know of their relevant experience. Address applications to:
By mail: Town and Tourism Manager post, KL&LV CIC, 29 Main Street, Kirkby Lonsdale, LA6 2AH.
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date is Friday, May 4, 2018.
It is hoped to make an appointment by the end of May.