Formerly known as ‘Cattle Market Yard’, the name had by 1911 changed to Salt Pie Lane. Cattle used to be sold in the adjoining Horse Market, and an enterprising lady living in the yard made hot salted mutton pies for sale to the traders. After consumption of the pies it was necessary to adjourn to the nearby ‘Green Dragon’ (now The Snooty Fox) to slake their thirst – the landlord of which just happened to be a relation!
Latest from Facebook
- Kirkby Lonsdale Charter Market Thursday, 20 December 2018
- Kirkby Lonsdale Country Markets Thursday, 20 December 2018
- Festival of 9 Lessons and Carols Friday, 21 December 2018
- Christmas Carol Concert Saturday, 22 December 2018
- The Thieving Magpies Saturday, 22 December 2018
- Crib Service Monday, 24 December 2018
South Lakeland’s newest school, QEStudio in Kirkby Lonsdale, celebrated another major milestone on Friday, 14 December with a ‘topping out’ ceremony for its fabulous new multi-million pound building. The placing of the...
The Mulberry Bush Nursery, in Casterton, has been celebrating its Ofsted ‘outstanding’ rating across all areas of a report, published on 6th November. Claire Robinson, manager of the Nursery, which is part of Casterton, Sedbergh Prep...